Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Europe 2015 - Barcelona: Celebrating our first 10 years

Obvious love from Mario Iván Oña on Vimeo.


Ten years ago today Deniz and I made the easiest decision ever. So easy was our decision that to not have made it may have put into serious question our sanity. We were married. Lifelong decisions are seldom this obvious, but from the day we started dating, we knew.

Our friendship, compatibility, and immediate love for each other was like nothing I had ever experienced. Even saying "I love you" rolled off the tongue naturally. With Deniz, love was instinctual and instant. No computation or guessing, except for maybe wondering what had taken so long for our lives to cross. In a life with finite years to live and love, why couldn't we have had a few extra year up front?

We were married September 10, 2005, seaside, outside of Izmir, Turkey. We wrote our own vows and promised to learn each others cultures, be the best parents we could be, and travel. I think we're doing okay. And somehow with every turn along the way - the good, the bad, the painful, the joyous, our marriage has become stronger and our bond tighter. I half jokingly toasted to me when Aylin was born. "Here's to me, the luckiest guy in the world," I said. Today, I tweak it slightly: "Here's to us, the luckiest couple in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment